Friday, May 4, 2007

A Thesis is an Irrelevant Exercise in Torture

Please forgive my lack of blog productivity lately. I will not be updating again until after I turn in my Thesis to my readers next Friday. I am vehemently opposed to the modern concept of an MA Thesis. They are too long to publish and too short to be a comprehensive study of anything. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely I will get any significant credit for it at UCLA. I have come to the conclusion it is simply a torture from the ninth plane of hell (the one occupied by tyrannical bureaucrats with esteem issues) inflicted upon grad students as punishment for having a fake life. In any case, I hope everyone is doing well, and I will be out of contact for the next week battling the thesis demons of the underworld. Cheers!

3 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

Best of luck to you as you finish your thesis!

boxfactoryboy said...

I can certainly sympathize with you and agree there may be some validity in what you say concerning the need for those folks to inflict some pain. I do see some value in it too though. It amazes me that as many people who do this process keep coming up with somewhat original ideas on their subject matter. One would have to ask oneself how many different ways can you consider something?! Good luck and I know you will do well. Thanks for your help on Saturday too! I wasnt too sure how that couch was going to get up the stairs....

Cabiria said...

Congratulations on submitting it today -- enjoy the brief respite!