Monday, November 10, 2008

Apparently, I'm a Historical Consultant Now

I was offered the position as a historical consultant on a highly stylized TV show in my field of specialization. As long as I can make my schedule match, it could be a somewhat fun and entertaining way to make additional money. I was able to drag in a colleague of mine, whom I trust, in order to split some of the workload and have a degree of plausible deniability when the storyline deviates from the historical sources for cinematic reasons. We'll see how it goes. In other news, I have a fractured tooth from an old football injury that had to be re-resined in Italy during the dig this last summer. My original resin lasted 10 years then had to be redone 5 years later. I loved Italy, but the Italian dental work lasted 4 months before it broke apart. I also observed problematic medical care given to a couple of injured students in Italy. Despite the medical care issues in this country, reform needs to be done in a careful way that protects the overall quality of care while improving costs and accessibility. From my personal experience and observation, the European medical system is lacking in a variety of things. Believe me, you don't want to be in need of healthcare anywhere overseas.

4 comments:

Dolce Vita said...

My experience in the realm of European health care has been to associate danger just with Italy. My prof put it best when she warned us "if you get sick in Italy, leave the country immediately. Then find a hospital."

Congrats on the consulting job. That sounds so cool. (How rare is it to find pop culture interested in anything we do?) I can't wait to see "your show." You have to tell us when and where it is on (and, of course, how they changed it from your original ideas).

kungfuramone said...

Yeah, I've heard bad stuff about Italian hospitals as well. The work done in France seems pretty top-notch.

Nicely done on the TV gig. Crom is smiling down on you, even now.

Matto said...

Nice work landing the TV gig. Sounds interesting and fun.

another kind of nerd said...

apparently, others saw you are historically RAD. Well done, friend!