Saturday, January 24, 2009

Blog Reengagement

My apologies on dropping off planet. I will attempt to be more diligent in posting. Just went through a mild earthquake, which was moderately amusing. Schedule is ridiculous this quarter as I am TAing, grading as a reader for the survey of the Roman Empire course, taking both a Latin course on Tacitus and Greek course on Xenophon, history seminar on Romanization, all while serving as a historical consultant, for which I was anonymously referenced in a recent show promotional tour by the show-runner. For now, I will not allow my name to be formally attached to the project so that I can insulate my future academic reputation from such a stylized/CGI/graphic novel style show. The show will be designed to appeal to a pop culture audience, but I am providing primary sources on a variety of background topics as well as direct suggestions rooted in real historical context. However, the sources themselves are extremely thin in ways that allow them to make up purely dramatic plotlines for their own particular vision. They are making a very concerted effort though. In any case, we'll see how it goes and I hope it does well. This thing will probably be even so raw as to offend those with delicate sensibilities, moreso than HBO because this is the first time this show-runner has been unleashed from the restricitions of his past shows, but you all know I laugh at such weak sensitivity in this mollified society. Strength and Honor!

2 comments:

Matto said...

The show sounds promising. Good luck with the work load.

another kind of nerd said...

Strength and honor, indeed! Keep at it, friend!