Monday, March 5, 2007

Lethargy on a Monday

After completing a major overhaul of the introduction of my thesis this past weekend, I ran out of energy for Greek translation and felt obliged to miss class on Monday. I have taken myself off of energy drinks, and just can't seem to summon up the appropriate drive to overcome my state of lethargy on a Monday afternoon. I have the feeling I will be worthless tonight and watch TV most of the evening; the Monday night lineup has been improving considerably in recent months. If I was like most Grad students, I would feel guilty at the lack of production. However, I have skillfully cultivated my ability allow my brain to engage in short, yet frequent, states of ambivalence toward academic endeavors. It helps retain a degree of sanity, and prevents descent into the dark region that is exemplified by crazed postal worker behavior.

On a positive note, I will be flown down to UCLA for wining and dining in the middle of April. I will try to make it the equivalent of a nice little working vacation before my thesis defense. Here is an appropriate image of how I envision my thesis defense going. Of course, I will emerge bloody, but victorious, after I beat the academic high council back into the shelter of their ivory towers.

1 comment:

Matto said...

It's always good to visualize your goal, in this case I think the academic high council better watch their backs.