Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Triumphal Return


After a grueling flight from Rome and some sleep in my own apartment, it feels good to be back stateside despite the great time I had in Italy over the last couple of months. The excavation went well although I was very busy and in a fairly remote area of the mountains of central Italy. I had a wonderful time my last week in Rome with lots of good company, food, and vino to go with the endless sites and museums I went through. My time in Naples and Pompeii was great also. I also actually really enjoyed some of the mid-sized Italian communities in the center of Italy like Sulmona, L'Aquila, Avezzano, and Rieti. These areas were not as blazing hot as Rome and had a more relaxed environment where you could connect with the local culture without all the tourists and craziness in Rome. I was in very high mountainous areas with lovely scenery and good weather to eat and drink at small establishments with friendly people. All in all a very good trip. I will not be able to drive to Oregon this next week as I have to get to see my daughter as quickly as possible following some meetings with faculty this week. I will likely be in Oregon until Sept 12th, and I will possibly try to visit during that time if I can work out transportation.

3 comments:

another kind of nerd said...

Yay! He returns! Welcome home, friend!

Matto said...

The trip sounds fantastic. Glad to hear you're back safe and sound.

Dolce Vita said...

Welcome back! I can't believe that two months in Italy is over; that seems quick. Oh, and that one photo you included in this post is no where near enough. Surely, you have more? (Don't you understand what it is like to be a US historian?! No exciting travel to foreign destinations....)