Thursday, February 22, 2007

Descending from my Mountainous Lair into the Infernal Basin of Los Angeles


At the specific request of Kungfuramone, I relay the details of my Five-Year Fellowship to study Ancient History at UCLA. After years of study, I hope to establish a benevolent tyranny that casts aside the present world order. Until then, no teaching in years 1, 4, and 5 with a high-end yearly stipend that obliterates my present funding situation by considerably more than two-fold, plus the inclusion of all tuition, registration fees (Yay, no fees! - unlike some places), and health insurance. Years 2 and 3 contain a TA-ship provision which has the bonus perk of an additional paid summer month in Rome accompanying selected students from the Roman Empire course I hope to TA for. An additional year of external supplemental funding is anticipated to work around a classical archaeological site in the Mediterranean. Of course, all of this is dependent on my continued assimilation of at least 5 languages, in addition to the successful completion of 3 oral comprehensives, and a written, before I get to write anything of academic substance. With this daunting task laid before me, I will retreat to my mountainous lair this summer in order to purge my mind before the descent into the labyrinth of lost souls that is Los Angeles. Fortune favors the bold!

6 comments:

Matto said...

Good to see you on the web TiS.

Rachel said...

fun, fun! So what are the languages? I'm assuming Greek, Latin, French and German, but what's the fifth? Glad to see you joined us!

Trust in Steel said...

The fifth language will be Italian, and I already have a bit of Spanish. Hope you're doing well!

Cassandra of Troy said...

Congrats. Remember that while UCLA seems to pay a lot rent is VERY expensive. I discovered this in my many years here with exactly the same fellowship. They lie they lie.

Trust in Steel said...

It is true rent is absurd, but I have been carrying an incredible amount of external expense in recent years that is now going away. So even in LA, I will have a little more income to reduce the debt I have been incurring.

kungfuramone said...

The whole deal sounds grueling but rewarding. I suggest bringing an iPod full of really brutal metal mp3s for inspiration.